Friday, March 5, 2010

Senator Frerichs Dist Office-Week Seven

This week in the office was quite an experience. On Monday morning, the Senator called the office to speak with his Chief of Staff to ask if she was available to come down to Springfield for session. Of course she called her contacts and made arrangements to be in Springfield Tuesday through Thursday.

Monday was a busy day to say the least. This morning Laurie gave me a series of messages which were on the voicemail of which I needed to follow up on. In the effort to contact all of these people and address their drastically different requests I had spent the majority of the morning/afternoon on the telephone.

I have learned to enjoy this position in the office. I enjoy having a decent amount of contact with constituents and making contacts for them in different state departments to address their requests. Although, sometimes the constituents do not like the answer which I must report back to them and of course that is a different situation.

Since Laurie was out of the office the majority of the week, I was determined to make sure the office was in proper order upon her return. With interns in the office, I took it upon myself to assign tasks to these individuals in an effort to accomplish the goal. In the time Laurie was out of the office the filing which was needed was finished, the newspapers on the back counter for Saw You in the News mailings was cleared, etc.

The main accomplishment of the week, I must say was clearing out the email box. Some of the emails in the inbox dated back to prior to Christmas. The email in the inbox numbered around 160 emails when she left-upon her return only 40 remained. 40 is a pretty manageable number of emails; especially since many relate to potential legislation which we cannot archive until the end of session.

Friday I was under the weather and spent the day resting in bed. I hope to hear great things from Laurie when I return to the office on Monday as I strived to keep the office in great order while she was away.

No comments:

Post a Comment