Monday, April 19, 2010

Senator Frerichs Office Week Thirteen

This week in Senator Frerichs Office was a short week. I had the opportunity this weekend to spend a long weekend at home with family and friends. The rest and relaxation experienced over the weekend was much needed. The fun and excitement of the long weekend was essential to my rejuvenation

I attended a VIP event with 5x NBA Champion Dennis Rodman Friday. Arriving at the event early, my mother, stepfather and I decided to sit down at the bar to have a few drinks. My mother, a part-time comedian (jk) decided to crack a joke to Dennis asking if he was going to buy a round of drinks. He obliged and then sat down at our table at the bar to talk with us for the next hour. In preparation for the VIP photo shoot, Dennis asked if I would get a manicure. I decided to go with the flow. Thereafter, I went with him and his entourage back to his hotel room prior to the shoot where he pulled out a T-Shirt and cap for me to wear during the shoot. Thereafter, I spent the rest of the night sitting next to Dennis while he signed autographs for those in attendance. I was given his contact information and looks as if I may be doing some work with him in the near future. Quite a bit of excitement in one night for an avid autograph collector and sports fan.

Monday, I attended the Cubs Home Opener with my father and fiance. I had a blast and once again received an autograph from the Ricketts, new owners of the Cubs after the seventh inning stretch.

Although not related to the residency I thought you guys might enjoying hearing of my experience this weekend.

I arrived back in the office on Wednesday morning. With the General Assembly still in Spring Recess the office is quite slow in terms of activity. The phone rings on an infrequent basis and calls range from constituent concerns with legislation to be presented after recess or constituent casework matters. Too, constituents ring our office for advance scheduling requests.

Since my residency began in this office in January I must say that I believe this office is in the best shape it has been. The email inbox of constituent emails etc. is at an all time low numbering in the ballpark of 10-20. The pile of newspapers awaiting clipping for Saw You in the News mailings is non-existent. Too, the number of constituent correspondence awaiting a reply is minimal.

Wednesday I continued to take advantage of this pace and worked to draft letters in response to the constituent correspondence awaiting a reply.

Thursday, the plot remains the same. However, the Senator has asked for a letter to be written mid-day in an effort to congratulate students for academic recognition. I drafted the letter and thereafter forwarded it onto the Senator for approval. The Senator's Chief of Staff and himself are quite fond of my style of written as it was returned with no changes.

Thereafter, I assisted one of our interns mark with comprising an Excel spreadsheet to be utilized in a mail merge. This mail-merge spreadsheet needed to be complete by days end in order to print out the letters which would be delivered to the Senator's home at the end of the day for him to sign. I had to assist with the spreadsheet since oddly our intern Mark only types with one hand as he says it reduces the amount of errors. OMG. If I had not offered my assistance this project definitely would not have been completed by days end.

Too, my PC has decided to go on strike as I turned it on last week to find a myriad of errors. When I printed the mail merge, it began to print one of 3,000. No clue what happened since only 150 letters needed to be printed. Luckily, I was able to cancel the print before it ran its course.

Friday, I continued my usual work in the office. Emails, newspaper clippings, constituent correspondence letters before leaving the office for the day at 2:30 for a Cline Center interview. Fingers crossed for a position since TA and RA spots are near non-existent due to the ongoing fiscal crisis.

No comments:

Post a Comment