Wednesday, January 27, 2010

First Week-State Senator Michael Frerichs-Champaign District Office

The first week at State Senator Michael Frerichs office has been quite busy. I am very excited to have chosen this placement for my residency. Since I have served in a congressional office before I will be able to compare and contrast the two. The district office expects to have six interns; however, I will be the only full-time intern in the office. At the onset of the internship it has been discussed that I may travel to Springfield on a bi-weekly basis in order to help run Senator Frerichs office at the Capitol; currently the office has no staff. Another option is for his Chief of Staff Laurie to travel to Springfield to run the office leaving me to run the district office during session; either is certainly a great opportunity.

Monday morning began with the usual basics related to an introduction of many office environments: sorting the mail, reading through local newspapers for articles of importance etc. Although the morning began with the dull essential activities of the office I am certain Senator Frerichs will place a immense amount of responsibility upon me. Monday morning the senator was out of the office to attend a funeral; Laurie and I sifted through constituent letters of concern which could have potential in terms of legislation for the upcoming session.

Upon the senators return we had a meeting to discuss the issues of concern which were expressed in the series of constituent letters. This meeting was one of importance which gave me an opportunity to see which issues are of key importance to the senator. The Senator also took a keen interest in issues of importance to me. For the duration of my residency I will be forwarded all issues relative to the University of Illinois and Higher Education.

As of Tuesday morning the Senator left to vacation for the week in Honduras.

On Tuesday morning, Laurie and I went to a meeting at the local Don Moyer Boys and Girls Club. The meeting was part of an effort to discuss a possible collaboration between the Boys and Girls Club and the local school district to renovate Booker T. Washington School. The collaboration would provide for the construction of better educational facilities with certain areas for specific Boys and Girls Club usage. This idea has been exercised in Toledo with much success. A variety of issues exists which may deter the effort, mainly cost. However, the state may be able to offer assistance.

In the afternoon, Laurie and I met with a recently released felon of the community to discuss a possible reentry program. The Department of Corrections offers a variety of programs to prepare incarcerated individuals the skills necessary to gain employment upon release; however, discrimination by employers against felons often creates a problem. The reentry program would look to work with local employers and recently released felons to facilitate a successful reentry into society.

The day ended with attendance at a local IDOT open house with concern to a proposed project: Olympian Drive. The project is opposed by many individuals involved with the agriculture community; these individuals cite the project will decrease the overall available area for agriculture purposes for an unnecessary project.

Wednesday had a primary focus on research related to potential legislation. I am excited to begin work related to potential legislation. I feel as if I am already serving as an integral part of this office. I have contacted a wide-variety of constituents, agencies etc. to investigate opinions and the overall possibility of implementation of potential legislation. The remainder of the week has served primary as time for research regarding potential legislation.

Thursday afternoon, Laurie and I attended an open house at the local Census Bureau in Champaign. At the open House we were briefed as to the events upcoming which are related to the upcoming census. It is interesting to hear of all the essential actions which are needed in order to carryout a thorough census. The Census Bureau will be able to provide many local citizens with temporary full-time and part-time jobs which is great especially in this time of great need for many.

Friday was marked by further research into potential legislation. However, I was assigned further responsibility this afternoon as Laurie asked if I too will serve as intern coordinator for the duration of my residency.

This week has showed lots of promise for the duration of my residency hear at State Senator Michael Frerichs district office.

No comments:

Post a Comment