Friday, January 22, 2010

Second Week - January 22, 2010

Last week I began my internship at The Capitol Fax Blog. The General Assembly was first in session on Tuesday and it was extremely exciting getting to meet people and learn more about how state government operates. I met the other intern I will be working with and followed around Rich Miller as he was meeting and greeting all the people he knows in the Capitol after being on vacation. Some of my work was running erands, but overall sitting in on the conversations Rich has with legislators is quite intriguing. I sat in the press box and watched as the Senate approved a cemetery reform bill, and later sat in on a House committee hearing on changes to state medicare.

The next day was the State of the State address. My primary responsibility for the day was filming reactions to the address that could be posted to the blog. After the address I headed to the Comptroller's office to tape Dan Hynes's press conference. It was interesting getting to watch from a couple feet away as a candidate for Governor gave his reaction, and I got to meet some of the members of the press corps whose bylines I recognized from the media stories everyday.

Unfortunately, given the primary coming up on Feb. 2nd, the General Assembly will not be in session again until Feb. 3rd, so I have not gotten to work at the Capitol Building since the State of the State address. Primarily I have continued to edit Morning Shorts each morning, which is a round-up of all the major news stories relating to the elections, state government, and stories affecting Illinois at all levels, and I continue to read the blog and follow along as the election develops. I did have an assignment to search through the State Board of Elections website and create a list of links to all candidate financial disclosure information for State Rep. and State Senate in competitive elections.

No comments:

Post a Comment