Friday, January 15, 2010

Sara Cline- January 15, 2010

I moved out to DC last Friday and spend the weekend getting set up and prepared to start working for Patton Boggs. Patton Boggs is a public policy international law firm, and I am serving as a public policy intern. If you would like more information about the company, you can visit the website: www.pattonboggs.com.

One of the main things that happens at PB, or at least in the area I am working in, is lobbying. Next week, the American Association of Orthodontists will be in town, and they’ve hired PB to lobby against certain aspects of Health Care reform. Next Thursday, the orthodontists, accompanied by PB lobbyists, will meet with member of the House and Senate to talk about those issues. So, this week I have been getting things organized for that.

I’ve helped make calls to schedule appointment for the orthodontists, as well as researched information on their concerns (opposing FSA limits, tax credits and incentives for small business to insure employees, grants for training in dental workforce, focus on primary and preventative oral HC).

Additionally, I have been working on the Greek lobbying effort. This topic is something that I will be discussing over the course of my internship, unlike the AAO lobbying, which will likely be over after next week. There are two main things to tell with regards to Greek lobbying:

(1) About 5 years ago, the Fraternity and Sorority PAC (“frat pac”-- http://www.fratpac.org/) was created. The money the PAC raises is used to help Greek House and Senate members, especially those in vulnerable races.

(2) Every April, about 100 Greek student leaders come to DC to lobby on the Collegiate Housing and Infrastructure Act (CHIA). (I did this in April of 2008, which is what lead me to this internship.) CHIA would make donations to non-University owned, not-for-profit student housing (Greek housing, Hillel, Newman) tax deductible. Greek housing takes a huge burden off of Universities, but because of a lack of money going into them, they’re not always safe. There is a provision of CHIA that states that the money we’re seeking to be donated tax-free would be used for safety improvements and repairs in the houses. The main use would be installing sprinkler systems, which are very expensive (my sorority just installed one and it was over $300,000). Right now there is wide bi-partisan support in both the House and Senate, but no sense of urgency to get CHIA passed. As it gets closer to the Greek lobbying visit, I will provide more information about this.

So, this week I have attended meetings to prepare for the April Greek visits (planning, logistics, selection of student leaders attending) and done research on Greek members of Congress. My boss is in CA right now making a presentation on vulnerable and retiring Greek members of Congress, which I researched and helped to prepare.

I really enjoy what I am doing here, but am surprised with how many hours I am working (although I don't mind at all). Out of the three days I’ve worked this week (Monday was just orientation, and today’s not over yet…) I’ve stayed until 7:30 or 8 on two of them. But, at this point it doesn’t bother me.

That is it for now, as I am still getting into the swing of things. I’m looking forward to the long weekend, and going with the orthodontists on hill visits next Thursday!

(PS- I am very new to blogs, and don't really care for them.. so my posts probably won't be very jazzy or flashy.. hopefully they're not too boring!)

1 comment:

  1. Sara, it sounds like the work you are doing is pretty important and means a lot to you. stick with it and good luck with the long hours.

    Today I pruned this gigantic plant in the office called "Destiny" which I am pretty sure is an overgrown weed in a pot, but my boss really likes it. So just be grateful, you could be pruning giants weeds ;)

    ReplyDelete