Thursday, May 6, 2010

Brady in Brussels

These couple weeks were exceptionally stressful. It was suddenly decided that we needed to make and distribute brochures for two of our biggest upcoming events and with little background in marketing, this proved to be a very difficult task. Not only was it painstakingly difficult to create a proper brochure layout on Microsoft Word (the only accessible program on my computer), but I had to constantly corresponded with the lecturers of our training courses to make sure their pictures and bios met their “professionally expectations,” so to speak. This meant I had to constantly revise the slightest of issues at a moment’s notice. Needless to say, the environment in the office was chaotic. Luckily we managed to piece it all together on time and are very happy with the results. I have emerged from the experience with a new threshold of patience.

Other than the brochures I have begun editing the texts we are receiving from the speakers at our upcoming conference. I am a bit worried because we do not have has many registered attendees as we would like at the moment, but my boss seems fairly confident that many people will register in the final two weeks when they are certain of their availability, which is understandable (you cannot imagine how busy some of these international lawyers are). I have also had the opportunity to read several books on mediation and negotiation that were sent to us by a major international law publisher. I wrote several reviews for our newsletter.

I was very happy to hear that we were nominated for international firm of the year by Corp. International, the UK based business magazine that I wrote an article and bio for. I submitted our nomination form and am hoping to receive some very good news in the next month. Having been responsible for this project myself it will feel great if we win. The magazine has indeed taken quite a liking to our organization, and will include an interview with our President in the upcoming edition as well.

Finally, I have been working on putting together our grant proposal for the EU Commission. We have received confirmed acceptances from two partners (one of which is coincidentally an NGO I applied to for my residency) and will begin working with them to come up with a project outline and financial breakdown. This will be very time consuming and technical. However, after the conference in the beginning of June we will have several other interns at the office that may assist us.

As for this week, my parents are using me as an excuse for vacation and are staying in Belgium for ten days which means I am temporarily changing jobs from intern to tour guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment