Friday, February 19, 2010

Sara Cline- February 19, 2010

Finally back at work! I thought one snow day was nice, but having Tuesday be my first full day of work in a week and a half was more than I could handle!

This week, we conduced interviews for the three summer interns who will have the same position that I currently do. Although it doesn't tie in with politics or lobbying, it was an amazing experience. I think I may have previously mentioned looking through cover letters and resumes of the 100+ people who applied. Kevin, Jess, and I all looked through each resume and graded it, and then averaged the grades to determine who would get a phone interview. After reading so many, I have a very clear idea of what I do and do not like on a resume, which will be helpful next time I update mine, and of what makes a good cover letter.

On Tuesday and Wednesday nights we did phone interviews with the ten applicants. The experience was extremely valuable. First, since I made up some of the questions, I think I will have a better idea going into an interview of the kind of questions I should be preparred to answer. Also, in comparing the applicants, I picked out different traits that made some stand out more than others. Talking with Jess and Kevin after the interviews about who they thought would/wouldn't be good for the position gave me insight into what interviewees think about certain things. The final decision hasn't been made, but I am extremely happy I was able to participate in this process.

Other projects I worked on this week: higher education research (how much top 25 public schools spent on lobbying last year) and grant analysis. For the grant analysis, I looked at the TIGER grants and high speed rail grants to see where the money went. Kevin was particularly interested in how much of the money went to states with two D senators, two R senators, or a mix. In combining the two types of grants together, states with two R senators only received about 4% of the money!

Additionally, I am still helping Jess with appropriations forms (see post from two weeks ago for explaination). It is interesting to see all the aspects/information that goes into requesting money from a senator or rep. I know this is the busiest time of the year for the firm, so am more than willing to help with anything I can.

Next week, I am going to be accompanying Kevin to the Hill. Which will be great. We were supposed to last week, but were unable to because of the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment