Monday, February 1, 2010

Week Two- State Senator Michael Frerichs Office

This week in the Champaign District office was rather quiet as the senator was out of the office on vacation til mid-week. Laurie and I continue to research a variety of issues of interests with regard to potential legislation for the upcoming session. Due to the pace of the office this week, I spent the majority of the week answering phones and making calls / waiting for returned calls or emails from persons of interest with concern to potential legislation.

In order to pass the time between inquiries I began to work on a number of constituent cases. To be involved in the legislative process is quite intriguing; however, I believe to work on the constituent casework is the most rewarding. I remember my time in Washington D.C. with Congressman Ray LaHood; I really enjoyed spending time with constituents and talking to them while conducting tours through the Capitol.

The interns are beginning to filter into the office. I now have to take more of a leadership role as Laurie has asked me to be the intern coordinator while I am here. In order to create less of a burden on her role in the office I must be ready to direct the interns to projects when the enter the office.

There has been discussion of my possibly running the Springfield office of the senator on a bi-weekly basis with his chief of staff. Of course, I have a few issues to work out before making this commitment; yet I hope the opportunity is realized. To run a state senate office on a part-time basis whether it be his district office or state office in Springfield would be a great opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment