Friday, February 26, 2010

Senator Frerichs Office-Week Six

I awoke this morning completely exhausted. Although I had slept for 7 hours I felt as if I had not slept a wink. Sadly, this set the tone for the entire day in the office; especially since I decided I did not want to grab a cup of coffee on the way in to work. What was I thinking!!!

Monday was a slow day in the office; partly due to my physical state. In the midst of session it is essential that our office keep contact with the individuals who inspired key pieces of legislation. Therefore, today I contacted a variety of individuals with regard to legislation to provide an update.

Too, although I had worked hard weeks prior to diminish the stack of newspapers on the back counter in the office; once again it had reappeared. I believe the newspapers although of minimal importance in terms of daily office activities must become an object of concern for a brief period on a daily basis unless I want to become overwhelmed every so often by the task.

Further, I worked on a series of constituent issues in an effort to decrease the overall workload for all in the office.

Tuesday was a brief day in the office for me as I had several errands to run before I left for Springfield that night. I took a half-day and left the office at one. Therefore I completed only basic tasks. Importantly, I began to look over and correct the letters which were to be sent out to primary winners and losers.

Wednesday I arrived in the Capitol at 8:30. The senator did not arrive into the office until near 10 a.m. He suggested I take a tour of the Capitol until he arrived; although having worked in the Capitol before I decided to relax at his front desk and wait patiently.

Since I had not been granted access as of Wednesday morning I worked in the senator's office on his MacBook . The senator asked that I create a spreadsheet which included all of his active substantive bills which were still in assignments. Therefore, the senator would be able to know which bills he would need to request be pushed out of assignments. Too, I made a few phone calls relative to constituent issues before he returned. Sadly, thereafter without computer access the remainder of the day I sat at his front desk, answered phones, and stared into the abyss.

Thursday too began with a delay. Once again I had arrived at 8:30 as asked but with no computer access I was not able to be productive. The senator arrived at 10 a.m. After a conversation with Toby of Senate communication staff, the senator had him bring me his MacBook so that I may be a productive member of staff. The senator and Toby exchanged brief words on the bureaucratic nature of the Senate.

With computer access, I finished checking the accuracy of the primary results letters and the senator signed them which enabled me to finally send them out. Thereafter, I worked on a spreadsheet of all agencies which offer forms of help to constituents in Champaign County. In addition, I answered phones, and served as first point of contact for those wishing to meet with the senator.

Friday the senator and Laurie were in and out of the office. I finished correctly a few primary letters and prepped them to send. Too, I spent the majority of the day on a variety of constituent calls. I finished the day working on a few Saw You in the News mailings.

No comments:

Post a Comment